To really understand what our users will need, and build the right thing, we want to have a first-hand experience from ‘real-life stories’ before we can model and create our software. To quote Alberto Brandolini: "It is not the domain expert’s knowledge that goes into production, it is the developer’s assumption of that knowledge that goes into production".
EventStorming is a technique that minimizes assumptions by doing deliberate, collaborative learning with different disciplines in order to solve business problems in the most effective way.
EventStorming can be used in a variety of contexts - from deliberate discovery to team flow and from sprint retrospectives to detangling systems and from domain-driven design to designing CQRS/event sourcing systems and determining candidate microservices. As long as there is a story to tell and a timeline involved, EventStorming will be a useful tool. In this dynamic, two-day training course, you’ll learn how to facilitate an EventStorming workshop for your professional journey.
Is Start to Event Storming training right for me?
- Yes - if you are a software architect
- Yes - if you are a consultant
- Yes - if you are a software developer
- Yes - if you are an agile coach
- Yes - if you are eager to learn cool collaboration techniques that help you grow your career
What will I achieve by completing this training?
You will learn:
- Where EventStorming can be effective
- The different EventStorming formats
- Patterns and anti-patterns of EventStorming
- EventStorming concepts, including: Event, Command, Aggregate, Read Model and Policy
- What is 'Deliberate Discovery' and how does it help my team
- How EventStorming fits in the Domain-Driven Design (DDD) approach
You will gain hands-on experience in:
- Solving real world problems with EventStorming
- Designing and modeling a business process using EventStorming
- Designing and modeling a state machine with EventStorming
- Designing and modeling an Aggregate with EventStorming
- Designing and modeling microservices with EventStorming
You will develop the skills to:
- Apply 'Big picture EventStorming' to get a common understanding of your current constraints as a company or team
- Get the most from an event storming session while facilitating
- Combine EventStorming with other tools like BDD/Specification By Example
What else should I know?
- A passion for sticky notes
- Willingness to communicate