Building Reactive Applications with Scala, Akka & Akka-Http
Learn how to build the next generation event-driven, highly scalable and fault-tolerant applications with Akka and Akka-http using the Scala programming language. By doing so, you will get to know all the ingredients to write high-performing, asynchronous- and non-blocking web applications that reflect all characteristics of modern reactive systems.
This training is co-created by Raymond Roestenburg, author of the book: Akka in Action
Audience Profile: Building Reactive Applications with Scala, Akka & Akka-Http training
- you are a medior/senior developer or hands-on architect,
- you want to learn how to build web-based reactive applications using Akka and Akka-http.
Important: Basic knowledge of Scala is required
Achievements Upon Completion
You will build a sample application in small steps that involves all relevant elements of Akka and Akka-http. In each step, a particular feature is treated and consequently implemented with a hands-on exercise. Extensive attention will be spent on testing. Finally, the Actor-based application will be exposed to the web using Akka-http. The most important advanced Scala features used in these frameworks will be treated as well.
After completing the 2-day training, you will know:
- the architectural foundation used to build reactive systems as well as their groundbreaking possibilities,
- the principles of Actor-based concurrency,
- the core building blocks Akka and Akka-http offer,
- the most important advanced Scala features used in Akka and Akka-http.
You will gain experience in:
- Using the core features Akka offers, namely:
- Actor Basics
- Testing Actors
- Event Stream
- State Machines
- Writing REST APIs and web frontends with Akka-http, by mastering:
- Akka-http Routing DSL
- Testing Routes
- Integration with Akka
- Applying the advanced Scala features applied in Akka and Akka-http, namely:
- Partial Functions
- Implicit Conversions
- Futures and Promises
You will develop the skills to:
- confidently write production applications with Akka and Akka-http,
- test Actor based code,
- design asynchronous, non-blocking and event-driven systems and which best practices to apply,
- expose Actor-based applications to the web using Akka-http.